Saturday, November 19, 2005

The 24th Day



Well... I don't have much time right now to write a full review coz it's 2am and I need to sleep soon... Although I'd really like to write one like what Jeremy did on the new Harry Potter movie...

To be precise, I watched the movie on my computer 3 hours ago. It's a low budget movie with a well written script. I wouldn't say 'excellent script' but impressive enough. It has strong anti casual sex message in it and the social problems caused by HIV as well. Am I allowed to spill all the beans? If I'd to give the synopsis, you'll hear all the spoilers. Guess I'll just leave it to IMDB info.

The acting is great! Have to mention Scott Speedman is an alumnus from our school and he was under the same college(New College) as me muhahaha.(Anyone can see there isn't any real relation in that...)Still it's good to see a talented Canadian actor on screen.

Here's my favourite scene. In fact 2 scenes that call back on each other and give the movie a deeper hue. The main characters are Tom(the kidnapper) & Dan(the hostage).

Scene 1
Dan came back home a bit drunk. He was swinging a beer bottle and collapsed into the couch.
Staring at the handcuffed Dan through slitted eyes, Tom mumbled 'Hey do you know why most of the beer bottles are dark?'
'The sunlight. The bottle's in the sun longer and the scum gets the taste.'Tom answered himself.
Tom: And do you know the purpose of scum scent?
Dan: Defense against other animals.
Tom: Right. Very smart.

Scene 2(the end scene)
Dan: You're lying. This's not possible.

Tom: Today's the 26th day and things seem a bit different.(pausing)Stacey had the right to do to me as what I did to you. I loved her. I was supposed to protect her.And in the end I'm the only one responsible for what happened.And with you, I put my life in your hands, someone I didn't even know, and I got what I deserved.And you're probably getting what you deserve. No you don't deserve this. Nobody deserves this.

(After these words, Tom turned around and started unbolting the wooden boards he put on the window for kidnapping purpose)

Dan: Why are you doing this? Why are you f**king with me. I'm healthy. Look at me.

Dan: Would you look at me?

Dan: (yelling) Look at me!!

Dan in total desperation, picked up the HIV lab report on the table and pulled out the result from the envelope. In faded background, we see Tom ripping off the boards. Daylight flushed in and filled the room with stunning brightness. And Dan's face, a picture of total blankness.

Lots of witty talks and subtle messages. You'll have to read between their lines.

Tired. Oyasumi.

No comments: