Sunday, September 07, 2008

KRAZY

I haven't mentioned anything about the KRAZY exhibit which I attended 2 months ago but totally missed out the 2nd floor out of bloody ignorance.I checked it out again this Mon and discovered an extremely lovely theatre screening popular movies like mind game, over the hedge, the place promised in our early days etc. The 'theatre' is in fact a rather empty and spacious room with tall ceilings. Reclining sofas and giant screens are placed on all four sides so that viewers can watch the movie from either direction. When I stepped in, I saw people fixated like couch potatoes staring up ahead.The atmosphere is sure comfortable, and soporific.

Photos are not allowed! (Too bad I can't auction this.) Right, the bloody staircase I missed on first visit. Thought it's just deco!


The 1st floor is sub-divided into four sections:comics,manga,anime and animation while the 2nd floor is for video games, pop art, gift shops and movie screening. I'm unfamiliar with comics (Should I be expecting Garfield and Peanuts?) but from the reviews I read,they left out some big names. I was instantly attracted to two artists, one of them Shaun Tan, and the other Chris Ware. They break out of the traditional sequential storytelling and instead emphasize a great deal on the aesthetic side of graphic design.

Shaun Tan's comics don't have textual dialogues (wonderful!!). The experience is similar to watching silent film. He specializes in pencil sketches of imaginative landscapes and characters with rich body languages.

From 'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan (I highly recommend this book)


Chris Ware has style which makes the narrative interesting and the same time complicated because you usually need to trace text bubbles in a tall building to fill the mental picture.It's a lot of deciphering.


***

We went cycling again today. Bobo loves car rides. She's like a white dragon with wind ruffled hair, and a look that says she's on cloud 9. If you roll up the window she'll stare you down in protest. No kidding! Our teenage lady has a temper!



I have negative talent for freesby. It spins so beautifully in a straight line...only in my dream.

No comments: