Thursday, September 04, 2008

Dear concentration span

Today I did an one-time meticulous counting: My concentration span is 9 B5-sized pages of text, and anything after 9 pages will be, Oh let the thinker sits on a spinning clockwork mechanism, a stray cat steps over the neon light, Hmm soon it'll be closing time when should I go etc etc, while my eyes zap back and forth along the same line that doesn't image on my brain.

Something interesting about perfume:
The indigestible part of giant squid, in particular their beaks, accumulate in sperm whales' stomachs into the substance known as ambergris(wiki), which is used as a fixative in perfumes. The next time you spray on Chanel No.5(assuming you do), you may wish to reflect that you are dousing yourself in distillate of unseen sea monster.
- From 'A short history of nearly everything'by Bill Bryson, footnotes of a certain page



To sum up my reading, ambergris is a chunk of sweet-smelling wax (amber-like?) which I suspect, is something like seasoned squid you find in a snack pack.But it's pricey!and before it's reduced to the highly sought-after form, it's just shit-smelling waste from the whale.

No comments: