Sunday, July 29, 2007

Release the stars

Where do I start,

Lemme begin by saying I just came back from a breathtaking firework competition at the English Bay. It was an international competition held in Vancouver and tonight was Canada's show.

The official name was 'HSBC Celebration of Light'. The fireworks were fired from a cruiser at the centre of the bay and audience gather along the beech from one end to another. It was an extremely celebrated, awesome fest of joy and dazzling glamour.

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

I don't really like the name 'HSBC'. Sponsor's name kinda ruined the shows, always. When I stared up the sky, totally dazed by the burst of creation and light, Rufus' album title jumped into mind. Release the stars.

The schedule is as follows,
July 25 (Wed) - Spain
July 28 (Sat) - Canada
Aug 1 (Wed) - China
Aug 4 (Sat) - Finale
Rain or Shine

Themes


As part of the privilege of the host, Canada arranged their own show on a nice weekend where workholics could drive all the way downtown to join the frenzy. We went there VERY early, 4pm to be exact when a megawatts sun hovered above our to-be-burnt skin and we could barely stretch our sandy legs on a stingy picnic spread. We played cards, dined, and chatted till 10pm when the stage was finally set against a perfectly darkened sky.

At the start people stood up to sing the national anthem. Huge crowds sang at individual pace and tune and it wasn't till chorus I could barely make something out. Two test shots into the sky sent everyone cheering and screaming and the radio station blasted 'Are you ready Canada for the HSBC Celebration of Light?' The show commenced promptly at 10pm.

Photo credit: Tony zhiwei




Then it was all like fairy tale magic. Colors and light dash, trail, burst, swirl, zoom, rain across the sky and upon us infinitesimal dots overcome by a tide of excitement and awe. There was a bit of drama for me. My eyes weren't adjusted to the extreme brightness and tears streamed down my face for the first couple of minutes. They came in volumes no matter how hard I tried to shadow my glass. I just let it run till they dried up at my chin which felt sticky afterwards.

I wish I knew all their names, the balls and the sparks. An intense comet speared high up and burst into a thousand pieces of stars which sprinkled and zoomed towards you. I had the hallucination I could catch it in my hand, its magnified presence ever so glorious. They faded away, leaving a teary trail and when the smoke gathered and loomed huge in the far distance, it was almost as if a gigantic ice sculpture rose from the sea. The shadows and undulations marked its complex depth and menacing architecture. It felt like a whole new world.

Why do they have so many colors? Please don't go into transition metals for art's sake xD

Since it's a COMPETITION, not random blasts, which means the show has to be creatively choreographed, Canada did a wonderful job matching up the tempo against jazz music. Frank Sinatra sound-alike, Correction, it was NAT KING COLE, shamey me :"( , sang a nasal 'unforgettable' in slow tempo and a fiery red heart-shaped hanabi bloomed in the dark. People whistled (some kissed). It was all very sweet and sentimental.

Update on choreograph,
Theme: Take Five to Jive
Company: Archangel Fireworks www.archangelfireworks.com
  • Bugle Call Rag, Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • Anvil Chorus, Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • Pennsylvannia 6-5000, Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • In the Mood, Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • Mood Indigo/Sophisticated Lady Duke Ellington
  • Unforgettable, Nat King Cole
  • Sing Sing Sing, Louis Prima
  • Jump Jive an' Wail, Louis Prima
  • Go Daddy-O , Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
  • This Cat's on a Hot Tin Roof, Brian Setzer Orchestra
  • Hey, Pachuco! Royal Crown Revue
***

So much for today. My jeans smelt of sand and sweat. My shoes were ruined. I was a deflated airbag and I wanted to sleep in the shower.

I opened my laptop which took a long time to start up (as usual), switched on TV while waiting and saw Jewel again on the same channel. But it was a different concert. She did an opera piece and also showed off her powerful yodel. She won my uttermost respect and wonder.

So I sat down and spent an hour replying emails, while my jeans were still soaked in detergent, waiting to be rinsed and dried.

And tomorrow is another day. Someone wrote that to me.

ps.Should I kill myself for NOT bringing a camera? But they also tell you, you can never enjoy the show while taking photos.

Tubies!
06年中国的烟火表演 ,黄河大合唱,超强的!不知道8月1号的看不看得成呢!!
第一部分


第二部分


第三部分

No comments: