Monday, March 06, 2006

no TV

When I woke up, the day was so bright and warm I thought I was still dreaming. Truth is, spring is indeed coming. We went grocery shopping this afternoon and had dinner at a popular(but cheap) Korean restaurant. I ordered 'bul go gi', something I couldn't even pronounce and it turned out to be a big noodle soup with nothing particularly special except the beef was marinated and tasted sweet. We were hoping our neighbour had cable so we could watch Oscar night but nooooo, nobody has this box thing called 'television' in our house. Considering how glamorously alluring this year's presenters are: my favourite favourite Charlize Theron, and Tom Hanks, and Keanu Reeves, and Meryl Streep and ahhh, no TV. We kept track of the winners every hour or so online. Best animation went to Gromit. We watched the backstage interview clip and couldn't help chuckling how the two extremely gentle Englishmen delivered their speech. Ehh, and best actress went to Witherspoon. I'm a bit surprised. -> 78th Oscar Winners List

Later on, we watched two J-drama episodes called 'Rondo', currentely serialising. The cast is a mix of the most popular Japanese and Korean actors. I haven't watched any sort of drama ever since 'Long Vacation' which I think is rather classic and representative of J drama, and the reason I had the patience to sit down and watch Rondo is Takenouchi Yutaka, my favourite Japanese actor. His spontaneity is most attractive! Oh, mais, the plot scored little merit.



I was forced to clean up the music files after my laptop screamed there was only less than 100mb left on the hard space, so I took the opportunity to listen to the albums I didn't have the time to go through before, especially those albums you guys sent me. (Oops, don't be angry) It's just that I have too much old music clogging up my laptop I always store the new comers in another movable disk. What was I going to say... Thanks Jeremy! That Loreena McKennit album is truly wonderful. I realized I heard many of her songs before but I could never match the person with the voice. I heard 'Murmur's Dance' in a compilation CD I bought long time ago, called 'the Irish Circle'. It's enchanting. Irish music's the best ^^ Oh and Jady, Mazzy Star reminds me of Jewel... Moby's not really my type but some songs are great! Anyway, for the ongoing music sharing business, here's my music list. If you find anything interesting, just tell me the albums to send.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

didya manage to watch oscar after all? if not, you should download it somewhere, hoho.. and reese witherspoon did do an Amazing job in Walk the line, highly recommend that you go to the cinema and take it in..very very very amazing performance, especially considering she and her costar performed the songs themselves. i didn't have a high opinion of ms legally blond, and this movie totally, totally impressed. so, go for it!

jeremy said...

I can send you more Loreena McKennitt if you want Zhu. When I first heard "the Highwayman," I was studying into my Irish ancestry, and that song brought up some resentment I never knew I had, the way the British mistreated my ancestors. They used Ireland as a practice ground for colonialism.

I didn't see any of the films nominated for the top awards at the Academy Awards...unless you count cinematography for memoirs of a geisha. I was kind of surprised Reese Witherspoon won too.... I'm kind of glad that guy from "Capote" won, proves you don't have to be a pretty-boy.

I don't know if you've ever heard of D-addicts, but they've got all kinds of Japanese, Korean, and Chinese dramas by bittorrent.

Z said...

Eh jady, now I'm interested in Walk the line. I'll check it out on our school sharing hub :p It's just that Witherspoon gives me a stereotypical 'pinkie girlie soapy' impression since she had her shot of fame acting a blonde and her subsequent roles are all invovled in crappy romance... Hmmm, but, it'll be interesting to see what else she can do ^^

Z said...

to Jeremy: Mackennitt albums are highly welcome ^^ ! Ah, but only do it if you're free. I only watched North Country. (planning to watch BBM , Walk the line this weekend!)

I also have this impression that the British mistreated the Irish but I have no idea where that comes from, probably a couple of novels I read... Irish people have beautiful legends!

I heard of D-addict before but never visited it. Actually I don't BT any drama since my friends have them all (aww...) I used up all my bandwidth on music O_O

jeremy said...

I'll probably try to rip another one this weekend...her second album is really good.

I want to see Brokeback Mountain, but I'll have to close my eyes when Heath and Jake go at it...I guess I'm not mature enough to handle that.

I know my ancestors were brutalized by British (or Scotch) landholders in Ireland who stole Irish land. That's part of the reason they immigrated to the United States. From what my great-grandmother told me, the Anglo-Americans didn't treat them much better initially.

Hehe, Bitorrent is my lifeline to Japanese dramas. Sometimes it takes soooo long to download one.

Z said...

I still haven't watched BBM...

I think nothing can beat emule if you wanna compare the limit of 'slow'. I've been downloading this 1G Love Psychedelico concert, for a month...

Jade said...

zhu: reese can do a lot of things, apparently. said in her acceptance speech that walk the line allowed her the dream of becoming a country singer became true for while, and i guess she's fully qualified to release albums if her acting career came to a standstill..but the speech as whole was a tad too..dunno how to describe it..just made me think: "she still has a lot of girlish nervous giggliness in her", and that "she's better playing a mature role than the role of herself..", which in spirit is much closer to ms legally blond, lol. and i also watched some after-oscar press conference, her, Ang Lee, that Argentinian composer of BBM scores etc, and oddly the main question Reese repeatedly got was about her dress! 'it's a fabulous dress, where did you get it, blahblah..' so laughable that oscars is so filled up with fashion magazine journalists and so few else..

and jeremy: are you really gonna do that? cover your eyes? no offence but i find it really hilarious..ROTFL..kinda reminds me of the times we kids were ordered to cover our eyes during smooching scenes..but seriously, it's focussed on intimacy and alienation and all the emotions in between and there are definitely less sexual content than you possibly imagine. intense film. i wish i have the time to see it in cinema again..and you guys (!!!) better catch it Quick.......

Jade said...

and curiously (for me), scotsmen (and women) hate the english's guts too, or so i was been passionately lectured to and enlightened over a night's drinks.. i wonder what the welsh has to say on this? ;-)

Z said...

I brought my hard disk to my friend's place, very delighted by the fact that I'll be able to rip Walk the Line and BBM. Guess what, my disk wasn't compatible! I jump watched several scenes and yes, Witherspoon is a natural country singer ^^ Very talented indeed! The fact that she looks better in pink is undeniable...

jeremy said...

Zhu: Ha, 1GB for a month? That beats me. The first episodes of most of the dramas are around 700mb if it's ripped in HD...and it usually only takes two or three days to download.

Jade: Nah...I probably won't cover my eyes. I still get uncomfortable watching two guys kiss. I'm honest about it. No matter how much I support gay rights, I think there'll always be some social programming.

Hmmm...maybe the northern Scots still hold a lot of resentment. I know they wanted their own parliment and London didn't give it to them. And only part of Ireland got it's freedom from England....

Jade said...

Rip it all ye want--'s wonderful--but do do do go for the cinematic experience, the full magnificence of the cinematography and music and everything else..(I am obviously becoming a BMM fanatic now..)