Monday, January 21, 2008

Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd



Trailer


Synopsis (from IMDB): After hard years in exile for a crime he didn't commit, Benjamin Barker now Sweeney Todd, returns to London to find his wife dead and his daughter in the hands of the evil Judge Turpin. In his anger, Sweeney goes on a murderous rampage on all London, with the help of Mrs. Lovett, he opens a barber shop in which he lures his victims in with a charming smile before casually ending their life with a flick of his razor across their neck. But not one man killed, nor ten thousands men can satisfy Sweeney's lust for revenge on those who've caused his years of pain. Written by O.G.

I watched Sweeney Todd in cinema with R and my 'movie reputation' was swept down the drain (as usual?). Not the movie disappoints, the amount of blood and gore and throat slashing was far away from a weekend chill-out.I humbly bowed my head feeling R's claws clenching my arm as the ongoing slaughter splashed gallons of blood onto giant screen. In the end I got so used to it I leveled eyes and did not flinch.

I understand Tim Burton's choice of Johnny Depp,a mix match of Edward the Scissorhands on a cold fish corpse parade. I truly adore how a corner of his lips breaks slightly into an unsymmetrical twitch as a wry smile surfaces upon his multifaceted face. But honestly, he's mediocre when it comes to singing.

Settings and costume are exquisite. How enchanting every brick and every window of the old London! Everything's tuned for a dramatic, stage effect (since it's adapted from a musical). However I'm a bit disappointed with the musical itself. I was expecting something close to 'Phantom', or 'Les miserable'. I can't pinpoint any highlights.

So... 7 out of 10 is my final verdict.

No comments: