Thursday, May 29, 2008

Deep Cove and Lynn Canyon

A belated outdoor journal
Date: 2008 May 18
Place: Deep cove and Lynn canyon, North Vancouver



We kayaked for 2 hours at deep cove, managed a decent paddling speed a little shy of walking on land, and saw instant muscle build up! In hind sight, it's a wise choice to go for doubles as you can take small intermittent breaks as your arms are wasted. But well, that all depends on the tenacity and team ethics of your kayak partner. Take for example our lovely friends, this couple who appeared to sail off to unforeseeable horizon (photo below) in the kingdom of tides and mist, the guy behind had long rested his paddle as his girlfriend steered forward bravely.

Everything looked brilliant from the shore, the panorama clear and breathtaking. But once out in the kayak, your focus is restricted to just two vast stretches of monotonous, endless things of nature: sky above water. How marvelous to have mountains and forests to assure oneself of boundaries, and positive movements forward or oblique. Imagine sailing on a mapless ocean using stars as guiding compass not knowing the shore... cross your fingers and deeply wish you're Jack Sparrow.

As we were strapped in sun baked suits and our arms were in different stages of limbo, all we wish for is strip and swim.









After lunch, we drove to Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, great spot to test acrophobia. I honestly admit my heart pounded 1.5 times faster when some irritating kid stomped, jumped and ran past me in the middle of the swaying bridge as a huge line of people surged behind me. I guess it's a curse to 1. Watch too many adventure thrillers 2. know that resonance (by chance) can make giant structures collapse. I looked down and saw white foams raging over a deep and ragged landscape (Whoa! Awesome = Scary! Adrenaline rush) Once I crossed the bridge, I couldn't find the pair of sunglasses tucked away in my pocket. Did you see it? I asked the guy who followed me. 'I saw people stepping over it. In shards now.' What a concise postmortem report.



Beautiful streams and pools along the trail




~ La fin~

1 comment:

Tony said...

I went to kayak at Deep Cove last year too. It's such a beautiful place!