Sunday, December 16, 2007

The other Boleyn Girl

The movie's based on a historical fiction. Based on what I gather from the Tudors, there's no rivalry between Ann and Mary Boleyn for the king. Natalie Portman(Ann) is rather convincing, but why does Scarlett(Mary) look like a wrongly accused maid...

Trailer


***

'Rear View' by Pete Duval, a collection of short creative writings.

Here's an excerpt from 'Spectator sport':
(a group of college students volunteering in a lunatic hospice)

On the first day, the director had stood up in the bus on the way down and warned us not to take the 'commitment' lightly. You miss a week, she said, swaying with the movement of the bus, and one of them might 'snap'. I liked the director. She was the main reason I had volunteered to befriend insane people in the first place. She had shorn most of her hair away, except for a tuft up front, which she dyed a different color each week. She wore a sleeveless T-shirt and a tie-dyed dress and genuine Marine combat boots. Moreover, she wore earrings in the many fleshy parts of her body.

I sensed that the inmates were confused by the director. She reminded them of something. I did not know what. This Mexican insane guy named Pablo became attracted to the director and began to follow her around in his pajamas.

'Te quiero,'he often said. 'Te quiero.'

The director made it known that she wanted me to get between her and Pablo. For two weeks, that was my function. Anytime Pablo and she were in the same room, she required my services as a moving wall.

Most weeks Zeke and I played pool the whole two hours. There was nothing else for me to do. I had lost interest in the mingling. Zeke beat me at nine ball. It made me wonder why he was even in there. I was full of assumptions. I was equating sanity with skill at billiards. He was just this normal automechanic-looking guy in the middle of an absolute horror show. I would shun the others - just ignore them - even though this defeated the very purpose of my being there, which was to make conversation with a wide variety of insane people. Two hours per week. It wasn't much to ask.
----------------
Now playing: Ween - Learnin' To Love
via FoxyTunes

No comments: