Sunday, August 05, 2007

When bad luck kicks in

Unfortunate things just keep ROLLING in like little devils parading into your quiet life.

My turn of luck (for the worse) happened last night? So I fathomed.

Internet was down but I was tightly engaged in the last chapter of Harry Potter Half Blood Prince so I didn't fuss (yet). Dumbledore's death was completely outrageous. I scrolled down wildly and led on by a strong temptation even scanned through Deathly Hallow in hope the familiar name should spring to life again, but it didn't. Death however fictional is still depressing. I wasn't ready to part with one of my wisest characters after 6 books. And I resented JKR for elaborating rubbish after D's death. I wouldn't call that proper lamenting in all honesty. The ending to book 6 is TOTAL TRASH. And yeah it hasn't escaped my notice how a display of male chauvinism is so essential to Harry's character building. Breaking up with Ginny so as to protect her? My arse.

Shut down laptop after being wholesomely disappointed by book6 and slammed into bed.

Woke up next morning to realize internet was still down. Called up shaw cable to be told it's the wireless router problem and it needs to be unplugged and re-plugged. A graver problem is, the router and the modem are in my landlord's room, which she so consciously locked before flying off. Does that mean I'm stuck with internetless you-better-kill-me situation for a whole month? The thought practically killed my day in a second. I tried to call/sms her but she didn't reply (not till late night).

I sat down in my favourite chair trying to read, while a cup of icy soy bean drink sat at my feet. For ghostly reason the CD rack toppled down without notice and knocked over the cup. Milky liquid formed a large patch on the carpet and on my RUFUS CD!! I scooped it up but the edges of the booklet were already stained and deformed. What did I do to deserve this?

Then Telus technicians called in to complain nobody's down there for the appointment. I told them I rescheduled yesterday and the poor man mumbled 'they should've told me, shouldn't they?' sounding very hurt and discouraged. I felt sorry for him.

Returned to the ruined carpet trying to blot out the dampness.

Dropped many utensils while cooking but fortunately nothing broke or flew. I was in a murderous mood.

But internet came back for another ghostly reason around midnight.

Things I just can't explain.

CANADA won the fireworks. Probably deserve the price. Do you know it takes 3 days to design and make a bomb? The 25min show uses on average 2000-4500 bombs. And to think not only the bomb artist, but also the choreographer has to listen to the set music millions of times to achieve the final synchronization, the show is a great given. It costs millions of dollars but we can watch it for free. However, I can't think of other means to charge for a fireworks show. Surely the sky is vast and within easy visibility of whoever has eyes.

No comments: