Saturday, October 22, 2005

pipa

Been listening to this track for the entire evening... it's sucking my brain out...

Pipa fits nicely to the melancholic mood. It's not the continuity of the sound that contributes to the feel. Pipa is most often a string of beads as Erhu is a whining stream. Not sure of the exact English term for the special technique - stroking the string? The quavering half note I humbly worship. We also tried that a lot with zhong ruan(a fat, roundish traditional chinese string instrument) but the sounds produced are just different. I always regard zhong ruan as a steady alto. Playing feminine pieces with zhong ruan just doesn't feel right.

Among all those traditional instruments, I can't pinpoint any favourite although I do have several 'ensemble' on my strictly 'no-no' list - erhu ensemble, suo na ensemble. Somewhat atrociously annoying.



Dearest zhong ruan (

Good to know zhong ruan is becoming a popular solo instrument. Usually it's just for chords and background music. *_*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a nice sounding instrument. I occasionally hear Chinese music...but I unfortunately don't know the names of any of the instruments.

I do have the House of Flying Daggers soundtrack, by Shigeru Umebayashi. I liked the soundtrack more than the movie, but it's interesting how he melded western and Chinese instruments.

Z said...

I especially like the track they played for the echoing game, hundreds of drums and yes, accompanied by pipa. That's the instrument they played in the movie ^^

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite tracks were "farewell no. 1", "beauty song", "The echo game", and "until the end (sounds so tragic)".

I have a hard time identifying instruments in those songs though. Thanks for heads up on "the echo game" though :-)

I think Hero was a better movie, HOFD seemed like Zhang was trying to answer too much of the criticism of Hero. HOFD wasn't bad though...the imagery was pretty.