Saturday, April 01, 2006

days and days

Ah I have so many to report I don't know where to start. ET's been here for? - '3 days', said she. To summarise it, last night me, ET and guizi went to paramount to watch 'Ice Age 2 - the meltdown'. (Jady's probably gonna be mad we didn't go for V) and today we went to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) where we spent the whole day circling around 2 exhibitions - David Brown Milne (one of the most influential Canadian painters) and Frank Gehry (famous architecturer who desgined the Walt Disney concert hall in LA). We just came back from the gallery, wind-blown and exhausted (me at least). Oh not to forget last night I finally watched Brokeback Mountain (not in cinema...).

So tired. Will be back to update this.

I decided to take a shower coz I smelt of fish all over, my hands, my clothes, even my hair. I cooked pomfret for dinner. Well I had no idea the pomfret wasn't gutted and therefore I spent 'the greatest time of the day' gutting it, getting my hands all fishy. So I showered, came back, found ET seated in front of my laptop, fingers furiously tapping away and sporadically giggling to herself. In no time did I discover my reputation went down the drain. Regarding her blog entry on how we unwillingly but nevertheless amazed whoever happend to witness one of the world's wonders (that is us, and our splendid table of food), I have to add, I saved our little left reputation by stopping ET from ordering another dish of dim sum. '1 dim sum, 1 stewed pot of meat balls, 2 combos, drinks, and you're still ordering another dim sum??' Turned out I was RIGHT! Powered by my initial surge of hunger (they say hunger's the best spice), I cleared one corn soup, one cup of ice lemon tea, 2/3 of my combo in no time. Looking at ET-sama who was still slowly chewing away at her whatever, I felt rather accomplished. But, they say whoever smiles last is the ultimate winner and the prize goes to ET! I surrendered after biting down 2/3 of the legendary meat ball, and for the rest of the course, sat there watching ET gumbatte-ing away the rest of the table. 'So you don't want this siew mai right?' the 100% rheotorical question arrived at the same time as her dutiful chopsticks, which snatched up the cute looking meat stuffed siew mai and swayed towards her mouth. I witnessed the entire death process of what should had belonged to my stomach, and my heart bled, many gallons of blood... 'So you don't want this right? I might as well finish it.' said ET. The last siew mai went down her food pipe. Instead of moaning over food loss, I felt something else - a reverie, wonderous, dream-like - of this siew mai consuming human machine with infinite stomach capacity, and unparalleled aspiration for more food...

Haha, happy April Fool's everyone!! Don't mind I exaggerating a bit? Lol, cheers!

Back to the 2 movies we watched. Ice Age 2 is fun but not as classic as the 1st. That squirrel who forever chases after the nut is a timeless joke. He performed all kinds of ridiculous tricks to get close to the nut, and in the end, he tried so hard he died - we know this because 'clink', his head knocked into something metallic and zoom! It was the gate of heaven, with a big golden nut etched onto it. The story itself is rather average. Mammoth romance, what do you expect? To quote guizi, it's another 'can you feel the love tonight?' soap drama. Oh, before the movie started, ET spotted these two popcorn guys giving out Ice Age bookmarks and dragged me along for it. So in a swamp of kids, there I was, totally embarrassed, asking for two bookmarks...To make situations worse, that '2' somehow came out quite inaudible and the guy had to ask 'how many?' 'Two...' Defeated.

Brokeback mountain... I had the urge to write a review last night right after watching but slept early. Now the initial rush of emotions is gone, I feel rather rusty. The movie was very subdued and it became a heartwretching experience sitting through the last half of it. I'm not sure why I felt so much pain. Jack's death is of course one reason but what's more is the gaping contrast between idealism and reality. The mountain is really a symbol of many things, far far away beyond reach. Somewhere they went back once in a while, if they could, a refuge. A most beautiful place many people would dream of, and just a dream. I could close my eyes and think of that storm ravaged green, below the torrent streaked sky, the untouched wild, but none of it within my reach. I wanted to stop the moive for a while to catch back my senses because the pain was at one point quite unbearable. Really it was just an abstract symbolic significance. I can't flesh it out any further. The cinematography isn't as good as expected. The progression wasn't smooth. One scene Ennis got married and in the next, he had two children, and the next he was divorced... It was too bumpy. Missing linkers? By the way, ET sama fell asleep towards the end. I was just so amazed.

Next stop (tomorrow that is) - Royal Ontario Museum. Here we come!

4 comments:

jeremy said...

Can't wait to see what you thought of Brokeback and Ice Age.

Jade said...

yes, that, and I AM mad mad about ye not going for V, heng heng..though i guess it was probably your fragile guizi's aversion to violence ;-) anyways..update soon,! hiahia..

jeremy said...

Ha! Happy April FoolS! I forgot about that, I should have done something...like fake my own death.

The bookmarks, were they worth the embarrassment? ;-)

Nice review of Brokeback Mountain BTW.

Z said...

Certainly not... a flimsy piece of paper... I wonder why I did that.