Friday, February 09, 2007

Vagabond

There seems to be a common theme in Ondaatje's prose. Many themes out there in fact,and 'scar' being one of those I read in critics' essays. He constantly detaches his characters from institutions, governments, countries and thereby abandoning the definition of purpose of living from macroscopic point of view and concentrates more on the solitary status of characters in a superficial 'self grace', which I feel could be an obstinate and melancholic expression of deep longings withheld by boundaries, the exact object he so tirelessly circulates and scorns to some extent.It's a vagabond feeling which probably stems from his early childhood experience.I don't think I understand it entirely although I could identify with part of it. And it's all based on a gnawing gut feeling.

No comments: