Monday, February 13, 2006

i'm such a lunatic

I don't understand ANYTHING on my immunology notes and I just realized a test is coming... (sweating, swearing...) and I've been shirking off all responsiblities lately. Not buying groceries, not care if there's proper meal and I don't feel like going on MSN anymore. MSN always gives me a weird imaginary feeling of being connected to the outside which I'm rather sick of at the moment. Even if I appear offline, the popping sounds made by people signing in and off are completely annoying. I wonder if all these could be classfied as anxiety syndrome. Just before I woke up this morning, I dreamt of me, my dad and mum going on a trip together. We stopped by a sunlite forest and decided to take a photo and I was thinking, oh great! Finally we could have a family photo! Then I woke up, a bit numb in my head and somewhat hovering on the edge of derpession, trying to reason why I had the dream at all. We never went on any sort of trip together, except for the yearly visit to my grandma's and we haven't had any family photo taken ever since I went on high school. Then I remembered several years ago when we were having dinner with my dad's friends, they asked me if I was homesick. Even before I could put my words together, my dad answered for me 'No, she never missed home.' I wasn't even sure if that was a complement. Thinking back, he must be rather sad, my dad. This insensitive eccentric daughter I am.

I haven't talked to them for weeks. I said in my last email 'let's chat on msn this weekend.' but when weekend comes, I don't want to go on MSN. I'm scared. I don't know where to start because nothing's going particularly right at this moment and I don't want to talk to them about that, my academics, my future goals, my relationships, my happiness, my run-of-the-mill daily report. 'I don't want a career in science. I'm constanly unhappy. More often than I want to, I'm scared and depressed. I want to disappear from where I am and start anew in a place where nobody knows my name. I'm afraid I can't meet your expectations. I'm constantly guilty and nauseated whenever I think of my future.' If I were to speak the truth, I'm sure they would buy the next ticket available, fly over and open up my brain for good. Therefore, in the end, I don't want to talk. I hover my mouse aimlessly up and down the MSN contact list, hover around my dad's name, feeling sad and outrageously lost and in the end, I signed off. I can't even remember when everything started to go terribly wrong.

And I need to study right now, even if just to block out the noise.

6 comments:

YayADuCK said...

poor zhu... you want some games? small games they are. teng ying passed me. i'm sure they'll lighten up your life. i spent the whole night playing them... so regretful. reading notes now... ttul

sangyu said...

i'm sad. i'm totally off tension these days and screwed up more things than i can handle. sigh. zhu hopefully you'll get back to gears soon... :) i need to work too. and i'm sure your dad was jking when he said you didnt' miss home. homesickness is such an embarassingly sad topic that many of us tend to gloss over. i don't even feel like discussing that with my family. maybe he thought you didn't want to discuss it. i don't.

Esther said...

yoz! been sick these few days..sigh and right after the exams some more.

cheer up ne zhu! At least you are still capable of missing home....

Z said...

what a depressing world... let's try our best everyone!
Es eh... you get sick in your play time...how unlucky. drink lots of water and get well soon!

jeremy said...

I think what you're going through Zhu is common among college students. I know I had it a lot. It affects relationships and mood too. Just give it some time...I'm sure your dad will understand.

Z said...

Thanks Jeremy! Hope everything's gonna be fine, soon.